Your role & work environment
Setting the standards for worldwide data governance
ING is rapidly transforming from a traditional bank into a next-generation digital bank, where everything revolves around data and smart data intelligence. The gathering, usage, management and governance of data is of the highest importance – a cornerstone in our transformation. We are creating a well-governed data lake that ensures data availability, common understanding of business terms, where data quality is measured and issues are remediated, and where data is traceable and controlled in line with regulations: an ambitious implementation based on leading technology. The tribe you will be working in is responsible for developing the standards that will be rolled out worldwide. In your role, you will have the opportunity to strategically steer and contribute to this development and roll-out. It goes without saying that this position entails a great deal of collaboration and careful stakeholder management – not only with tribes within the Belgian organization, but also with people within the ING Group as a whole.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Functional Analyst with a real passion for data, to ensure that our new generation data lake is optimally aligned with business requirements and terminology. You will work in a multidisciplinary team ('squad') with data management analysts & engineers in the Data Management tribe to deliver great business outcome.
- Collaborate with business data owners/data stewards of the assets/ domains managed by your squad to understand their data, their data needs and business context;
- Analyze the data to onboard in the data management platform, establish what data & how it will be sourced and structured in the Data Lake;
- Establish what data will be supplied from the Data Lake to consumers;
- Create detailed specifications that DevOps engineers will use to source and structure data into the Data Lake;
- Create requirements on data quality, data lineage, data privacy, data security, and other relevant aspects of the data by recording the data definitions in the data dictionary and maintaining them as part of metadata management;
- Set up conceptual, logical, and dimensional data models, and define default terms for the business terms, based on the IBM Banking Data Warehouse (BDW) Model and the "ING Esperanto", the data definitions for the entire ING Group;
- Match the local and global definitions to the requirements of data users, data owners and other stakeholders;
- Test set data models, creating test scenarios, actively participate in data models testing and keep consistency and quality;
- Continuously take initiative to improve the way of working and the collaboration within your squad;
- Guide and coach others in the field of data management, such as data stewards in the business domains, and encourage the organization to become ‘data minded’;
- Be a sparring partner for IT specialists for translating the conceptual, logical, or dimensional data model into the physical data model.
A colleague with a talent for taking it on and making it happen, enthusiasm for helping others to be successful and a knack for always being a step ahead. In other words, you strive to bring fresh ideas to life and embrace challenges in a fast changing and complex environment. You are a naturally collaborative person who listens and invests in others to achieve common goals. You love to challenge the status quo and are eager to propose creative solutions to problems.
As a Data Management Functional Analyst you will also need:
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills;
- Experience in gathering and aligning on requirements with Business & convert them into proper definitions for implementation;
- Broad knowledge and practical experience with projects related to use of data, data quality, data lineage, data security, data privacy, data lifecycle management, data issue remediation and other data-governance practices;
- Experience in compiling and aligning on definitions for business terms;
- Conceptually and analytically strong to make the right modeling choices;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, to be able to align with various stakeholders;
- Excellent command of English in word and writing (and Dutch/French is an asset);
- Enthusiastic personality, bringing pleasure and connection with Agile way of working in multidisciplinary teams;
- Industry knowledge on data related government regulatory requirements (GDPR, BCBS 239 …) is a plus;
- Hands-on SQL, databases experience, data warehouse experience is a plus;
- Experience with data modeling techniques and data models development is a plus;
- Experience with core banking, finance or risk processes is an added value.
A clear purpose, a unique offer and a range of flexible compensation and other benefits:
- Personal growth & challenging work with endless opportunities to realise your ambitions
- An informal, dynamic environment with innovative colleagues supporting your endeavours
- A progressive and agile way of working, where new ideas are valued ahead of convention
Furthermore, within the Data Management department, you can count on a range of opportunities to invest in your personal and professional growth with:
- A salary tailored to your qualities and experience
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work at home
- A reimbursement for travel expenses
- Pension scheme
- A flexible reward plan
- Personal growth and challenging work with endless possibilities to realize your ambitions
- An informal working environment with innovative colleagues who strive for the very best
- Progressive way of working according to the Agile method, so that new ideas come to life
We redefine banking. What about you?
We’re on a journey that’s centred around our customers, powered by technology and driven by smart, determined people. Our customers feel our people are empowering them to stay a step ahead in life and in business. We’re proud of that!